[NHCOLL-L:4298] Learn about humidity control in Preservation Environments online class in May

Helen Alten helen at collectioncare.org
Wed Apr 22 07:09:53 EDT 2009

Starting May 4  there is an opportunity to
discuss relative humidity and temperature and how they affect your museum:

MS 211: Preservation Environments
May 4 to May 29, 2009
Price: $425
Instructor: Ernest A. Conrad
Location: online at www.museumclasses.org

The museum's brick exterior wall is crumbling.
The powder coated metal storage shelves have
active rust under the foam padding. Objects in
fur storage are covered in mold. It is raining in
the exhibit hall. This is the damage that occurs
to museum buildings or collection when staff do
not understand preservation environments.
Preservation Environments is essential knowledge
for any collecting institution. Everyone should
understand how humidity and temperature are
controlled by a building and its mechanical
system. For museum staff considering a new
building - and any institution planning to expand
or rebuild an existing one - Preservation
Environments provide important information for
calculating whether the proposed improvements
will actually improve the environmental control
of your protective enclosure. Participants learn
the advantages and disadvantages of numerous
methods of temperature and humidity control.
Preservation Environments does not try to turn
museum professionals into engineers. Rather, it
arms them with the knowledge they need to work
with engineers and maintenance professionals. And
helps explain why damaged occurred and how to keep it from happening again.

Course Outline:
1 Introduction
2 Climate Control Basics
3 Monitoring and Psychrometrics
4 Water - The Enemy
5 Preservation Today and Tomorrow
6 Conclusion

Logistics: Participants in Preservation
Environments work at their own pace through six
sections and interact through online chats.
Instructor Ernest Conrad is available at
scheduled times for email support. Preservation
Environments includes online literature, slide
lectures and student-teacher/group-teacher
dialog. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Preservation Environments runs four weeks. To
reserve a spot in the course, please pay at
<http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html>http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html
If you have trouble please contact Helen Alten at helen at collectioncare.org

Student Comments for MS211: Preservation Environments:
Mr. Conrad did a superb job
the information from
the course has helped me professionally,
especially in describing the impact of relative
humidity on objects and artifacts and paper.

I thought the lectures along with the powerpoint slides were great.

This course helped me to understand quite a bit
more as far as the psychometric and maximum room
RH without condensation charts. I already had a
psychometric chart but made little use of it,
since no one had explained how to use it. I also
was very interested to hear of digital monitoring
systems. This course exceeded my expectations.

The instructor was very knowledgeable,
approachable (with probably rather silly
questions) and gave straight forward answers to inquiries.

The Instructor:
Ernest A. Conrad's greatest contribution to the
preservation field was the development of
environmental guidelines for engineers who work
on museums, libraries and archives. For over 20
years, Mr. Conrad has focused on environmental
issues. He is president of Landmark Facilities
Group, Inc., an engineering firm specializing in
environmental systems for museums, libraries,
archives and historic facilities. A licensed
mechanical engineer in several states, Mr. Conrad
holds a bachelor's degree in civil engineering
and a master's in environmental engineering from
Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The American Society of Heating, Refrigerating
and Air-Conditioning Engineers, Inc. (ASHRAE)
publishes standards in the areas of HVAC and
refrigeration. Mr. Conrad recently co-authored
the ASHRAE Applications Handbook "Chapter 20:
Museums, Libraries and Archives." For the first
time, there are guidelines specific to our needs
in the engineering literature. Mr. Conrad has
studied environments and designed special climate
control systems throughout the United States for
clients as well-known as the National Gallery of
Art, Library of Congress, The Frick Collection,
Getty Conservation Institute, The Pierpont Morgan
Library, National Trust for Historic
Preservation, and National Park Service. He has a
special interest in house museums and how climate
affects structures and collections housed within those structures.