[NHCOLL-L:4300] University of Illinois mineral collections?

Scott LaGreca SLaGreca at berkshiremuseum.org
Wed Apr 22 14:13:26 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I'm trying to track down a collection of mineral specimens from the
turn-of-the-century (early 1900s)...

The minerals were the property of Daniel Clark of Tyringham,
Massachusetts. He had family in the Chicago area. I have uncovered some
old documentation that states that in the years following Clark's death
(1902-1907, or thereabouts) his family donated a large set of his
specimens to the University of Illinois (the exact city isn't clear).

I have Google'd "University of Illinois mineral collection" and haven't
found anything useful. I also checked the Illinois Natural History
Survey website, but apparently they don't have a mineral collection. I
also checked:
http://www.agiweb.org/smmp/ <http://www.agiweb.org/smmp/>

and

http://www.mindat.org

...But didn't find anything regarding the mineral collections from the
University of Illinois.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Specifically, I'm curious about where
mineral collections at U of I would have ended up. (Field Museum? U of
Chicago?)

We have a large set of Daniel Clark's minerals here at the Berkshire
Museum and I'm curious where the rest ended up.

Any help you can give would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Scott LaGreca

Scott LaGreca, PhD
Natural Science Coordinator
Berkshire Museum
39 South Street
Pittsfield, MA  01201  USA
TEL 413-443-7171, ext. 17
FAX 413-443-2135
slagreca at berkshiremuseum.org

Become a world-class explorer in an exciting new exhibition at Berkshire
Museum! Race to the Top: Arctic Inspirations 1909 and Today, on view
January 24-May 17, 2009, celebrates the 100th anniversary of Admiral
Robert E. Peary and Matthew Henson's extraordinary expedition to the
North Pole. The exhibition is sponsored by TD Banknorth.

For exhibition-related programs and events, go to
http://www.berkshiremuseum.org/calendar/index.php
<blocked::http://www.berkshiremuseum.org/calendar/index.php>