[NHCOLL-L:4308] beetles feeding on my beetles?

Wehtje, Walter G. wehtjew at missouri.edu
Tue Apr 28 18:56:43 EDT 2009

An entomologist colleague recently identified some small beetles in my
dermestid colony as red-legged ham beetles (Necrobia rufipes). Looking
at an FAO website, it says that the larvae can feed upon dermestes eggs
and larvae. Does anyone have experience with this species? Should I try
to remove as many of them as possible, or are they just a minor
irritant?

Thanks,

Walter Wehtje, Ph.D.

Department of Fisheries and Wildlife Sciences

University of Missouri-Columbia

302 Anheuser-Busch Natural Resources Building

Columbia, MO  65211-7240

(573) 884-7553