[NHCOLL-L:4474] Mould on fossils

Dr Heidi Fourie hfourie at nfi.museum
Sat Aug 29 07:36:39 EDT 2009

I've discovered mould growing on fossils we stored in our basement.  These are invertebrate fossils in blocks mounted in wooden frames.  Both the frame and fossil are covered in mould.  The mould is  whitish grey wooly and round in pattern.  It even grows on the Glyptal.
My question is, what is the safest chemical to clean this with or is water and soap safest.  The storage room that it is going to has a very low humidity so I don't think the mould will reappear and how safe is the fossil plants in the same basement storeroom?

Heidi
Dr H. Fourie
Curator: Vertebrate Palaeontology
Transvaal Museum