[NHCOLL-L:4373] RE: Barcodes vs. RFID's

Herrera, Joan Joan.Herrera at MyFWC.com
Wed Jul 1 15:00:42 EDT 2009

We are exploring incorporating Two-Dimensional Barcoding (PDF417) to
aide in managing our collection.  FRID is relatively new and not
standardized world-wide to mention a couple cons.  This is a good read
http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1104&context=infopapers

Our database programmer tells me he can put all the data from the
database for that particular lot into the PDF417 barcode.

Joan Herrera, Ph.D.
Curator of Collections

Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
100 8th Avenue SE
St. Petersburg, FL 33701-5020
727-896-8626, ext 1206
E-Mail:  Joan.Herrera at MyFWC.com

________________________________

From: owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-nhcoll-l at lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Del Re, Christine
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 1:55 PM
To: NHCOLL-L at lists.yale.edu
Subject: [NHCOLL-L:4372] Barcodes vs. RFID's

We at MPM would like to know which other museums are now using barcodes,
or RFID's on/in individual collection items?  Does anyone favor one
system over the other?  Also, for those using barcodes, is the
preference to link a generic barcode number to an artifact via a data
base, or to make the barcode the actual artifact number?

Any thoughts or references would be appreciated

Chris

	Christine del  Re | Senior Conservator &  Conservation Section
Head
Milwaukee Public Museum
800 W Wells Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233