[NHCOLL-L:4224] RE: maceration question

Paula Hildebrandt hildeb16 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 3 16:28:52 EST 2009

Without careful observation, you could lose the connective tissue you want
to save, depending on the speed of the colony.  If this were my task, I
would rough out the main muscle masses and soak the leg in ethanol for six
weeks, which makes the soft tissue brittle.  I would remove the unwanted
muscle by hand with forceps (not as tedious as it sounds) and leave what is
needed.  If the tissue isn't easily removed, soak for another few
weeks.  Air dry when complete.

I've used this method on juvenile carnivore skulls which would
disarticulate in a colony or a maceration jar.  I can remove only what I
wish.  Unless you are in a hurry, this is a nice, conservative way to go.