[NHCOLL-L:4584] HgCl2

Gegick, Patricia, DCA patricia.gegick at state.nm.us
Mon Nov 2 13:52:06 EST 2009

Dear List,
I have a beautiful bird egg collection from the early 1900s.  On the
listserve this past year was a reply stating that early bird egg
collections were most likely treated with "corrosive sublimate" which is
mercuric dichloride, HgCl2, I believe.  Does anyone know if these eggs,
which have been stored in a closed, specially-made wooden box, give off
any Hg gas?  I am concerned about displaying them during collections
tours. Also, does anyone know how they can be tested for presence of Hg?
Thanks.

Patricia J. Gegick
Bioscience Collections Manager
Department of Collections and Research
New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science
1801 Mountain Road, NW
Albuquerque, NM  87104-1375
Phone:  505.841.2867  Fax: 505.841.2866
email:  patricia.gegick at state.nm.us

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. -- This email has been scanned by the Sybari - Antigen Email System.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail,including all attachments is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,use,disclosure or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message.

This email has been scanned using Webroot Email Security.