[NHCOLL-L:4593] Housing ethnobotanical collections

Rabeler, Richard rabeler at umich.edu
Thu Nov 5 15:54:36 EST 2009

Colleagues:

I am posting this query for a colleague here at the University of Michigan.  Please direct any replies to Jamie at jlmerkel at umich.edu.

Thanks - Rich Rabeler, MICH

The ethnobotany lab at the University of Michigan Museum of Anthropology has started began a three year project rehousing the ethnobotanical collection (about 33,000 objects total). We are getting new powder-coated enamel steel cabinets and are looking forward to rehousing the collections in archival and standardized boxes.  We are currently exploring our options for boxes and containers (such as vials and jars) and I was wondering what you have had success with in this regard, and possibly what you would warn against!  Some of our best options thus far seem to be clear plastic containers made by Gary Plastic Packaging Corp. and archival quality cardboard boxes with reinforced metal edges and clear plastic lids.  We would like to have at least the lid be made of clear plastic so we can see what is inside without having to open the container.

Any insights, information, or referrals would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks in advance!

Jamie Merkel
Assistant Collections Manager
Museum of Anthropology
University of Michigan