[NHCOLL-L:4606] RE: Tissues specimen in ethanol and DMSO-EDTA

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Nov 11 03:33:38 EST 2009

Hi Carol,

sorry for my late reply, but I would abstain from removing the tissues
to DMSO-EDTA for practical reasons. It seems, that the DNA-quality
extracted from DMSO-tissues is bad (problems with degrading resulting in
short fragments).

A colleague received fish tissues from Russia which were even dried for
fixation (pinned on a paper and dried in the sun).
During a major project, we had problems with poor quality tubes
resulting in 100 % evaporation losses which we recognised too late, so
several tissues dried up. In both cases it was possible to extract high
quality from the tissues. And prior to lyses of the tissues for
DNA-extraction, you need to dry the tissues anyway ...

For this reason, and for the forthcoming changes Andy already mentioned,
I would abstain from transferring the tissues into DMSO-EDTA, as it will
be difficult to remove residual DMSO from the tissues again.

All the best

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/