[NHCOLL-L:4501] RE: Epoxy removal from minerals

Moore, Simon simon.moore at hants.gov.uk
Fri Sep 4 06:15:59 EDT 2009

Dear Bob,

Don't you just love designers, no reversibility ethics there!  Although
I have managed to soften epoxies using xylene over a few days and have
heard rumours about using acetone and the esters that occurs in
pineapples (either methyl butyrate or allyl hexanoate ring a bell)  this
is hearsay.  I trust that these fatty-acid related esters won't produce
any by-products with the minerals.
I presume someone has suggested using a fine-toothed saw?

With all good wishes,
Simon Moore, MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Senior Conservator of Natural Sciences.
Hampshire County Council,
Department of Culture, Communities and Rural Affairs,
Museums & Archives Service,
Chilcomb House, Chilcomb Lane,
Winchester SO23 8RD. UK.
Internal  8 327 6737