[NHCOLL-L:4717] Possible change in USPS International Mailing Standards???

Rabeler, Richard rabeler at umich.edu
Fri Feb 26 11:17:21 EST 2010

Colleagues:

For those of you sending packages from the US to international destinations via the United States Postal Service, you might be interested in my recent experience.

We have been told by our University Mail Service (and by extension, our local Post Office where they drop our packages) that any tape with a shiny surface cannot be used on a package going to an international destination.  From what I have learned, packages are now stamped along all corners - shiny tape causes smudges that look like the package may have been tampered with.  Paper tape is OK.

>From what I have been able to determine, none of this info is in the online International Mail Manual nor can I find any bulletins where I can read about the change.

I'm looking into this further and I would also be interested in learning if others have seen this same change.

Sincerely,

Rich Rabeler
University of Michigan Herbarium