[NHCOLL-L:4873] RE: International shipping

Rodrigo Pellegrini Rodrigo.Pellegrini at SOS.STATE.NJ.US
Fri Jul 16 10:09:43 EDT 2010

I have a feeling, based on the amount and weight of journals involved,
that your best bet would probably be the use of multiple USPS M-Bags:

http://www.usps.com/international/mbags.htm

I would still shop around (if you know someone with an international
container shipping account, or some business that provides the service,
and you can fill at least half of a short container, then that might be
cheaper than multiple USPS M-bags).

Several years ago (late 90's) I shipped a box of journals to Chile using
the M-Bag. It was the cheapest service I could find for the bulk (and
weight) of the box, but this was a long time ago and before several rate
changes. It took more than 3 (almost 4) months to get there, but it got
there cheap. I was under the impression that the box was shipped via
boat, but the current webpage description sure sounds like it's airmail.
I would pick up the phone and call the local post office to inquire
details for shipping these journals to Paraguay using M-Bags, what the
dimensions of the M-Bags are, how much it would cost, and how long it
would take them to get there.

Needless to say, there is no tracking or confirmation service associated
with this service.

Rod

Rodrigo Pellegrini, MA, MS
Registrar, Natural History Bureau