[NHCOLL-L:5023] Re: Labeling rocks and fossils

Melissa Barton m.alanebarton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 01:44:35 EDT 2010

As Amy Davidson suggests, when I was a graduate assistant (recently!) in the
invertebrate paleo collections at the University of Colorado we were using
titanium white acrylic paint and paraloid B-72. We found that using small
nail polish bottles to store the paraloid helped minimize problems with the
paraloid clogging the threads of jar lids which we had when we used
wider-mouth jars, but it still tended to dry out and was best mixed up in
small batches as needed. The acrylic paint worked great.

In the past I have also used acrylic gesso, but I wouldn't recommend it. It
doesn't cover as well or go on as smoothly as acrylic paint, and I'm not
sure it wouldn't flake in the long run. Definitely would not recommend
correction fluid--it can be made of any number of chemicals and is not
designed for long-term adherence to a surface.

-Melissa