[NHCOLL-L:4955] Dermestid cleaning of fish skeletons?

Kirsten Nicholson norops at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 09:10:08 EDT 2010

How long does it normally take for dermestids to clean fish skeletons?  I'm
attempting to publish an article on a technique that I experimented with to
speed this process.  An article by Bemis et al (2004) lends the impression
that fish preparation with his proposed method of first drying the fish
(after skinning and removing internal organs, large muscle masses and
fascia) can take up to months.  I emailed Bemis with no response, and mind
you, I'm a herpetologist, with little experience making fish skeletons.  So
I'm wondering if I'm misinterpreting their article, or if in fact it can
sometimes take a very long time to prep a fish skeleton with dermestids?  I
recognize it may depend on the size of the fish, but for us it didn't take
very long at all (hours).

Thanks for any info you can pass on!

Kirsten

--