[NHCOLL-L:4956] RE: Dermestid cleaning of fish skeletons?

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Tue Sep 7 10:13:39 EDT 2010

Kirsten

Several other factors need to be taken into account.  The size, maturity,
and environmental condition of the dermestid colony all come into play in
determining the speed of the work in cleaning skeletons.  The same colony
can take hours, weeks, or sometime in between to complete a job.  A large
colony that is concentrated and has nothing else to feed on will work
faster.  A mature colony, that is having large numbers of all stages of
larval development, will work faster and more efficiently.  And a colony
kept in appropriate conditions will work better than one that isn't.

Another factor is staff care of the colony.  A well maintained colony will
produce better results faster than one that is just left to go and checked
periodically.  And, especially with fish or other oily specimens there is
time and work to clean and degrease the specimen after coming out of the
dermestid colony.

Looking forward to hearing about your efforts to speed the process.

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager

Division of Zoology and Division of Botany

University of Nebraska State Museum

W-436 Nebraska Hall

900 N. 16th St.

Lincoln, NE  68588-0514