[NHCOLL-L:4958] RE: Dermestid cleaning of fish skeletons?

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Tue Sep 7 11:22:07 EDT 2010

... our archaeozoological colleagues normally cook the fishes for 1-2 h
in small net bags; after this, the flesh can be removed easily,
afterwards the bones and dried (if necessary, larger bones are cleaned
and dried with paper towels first). This smelly method works also nice
in the field (skeletons can be transported dry with salt in zip-lock
bags wrapped in newspaper). Any remaining flesh is then cleaned by
dermestids. Time depends on size and number of bones and on the colony.
In general cooking, cleaning and removal of residual flesh will take
some hours, but this method will be much faster then the proposed months.

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/