[NHCOLL-L:5447] Shipping of specimens / updates import requirements for Europe / Germany

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed May 25 03:30:21 EDT 2011

Morning all,

just to share recent questions regarding CN tariff code / US Fish &
Wildlife from 3-177:

E-Dec means "Electronic Declaration". This is what you (or the person in
charge for the shipping at your museum) enters on-line in the system
(e.g. FedEx) when issuing the bar code label. As in (old style) paper
waybills, there should be a field in the entry mask where you enter the
description of goods. This field should include the information "CN 9705
00 00".

As far as I know the CN tariff is not required for the 3-177 from, but I
never issued such a form myself, so I am not sure if US Fish & Wildlife
authorities would need this custom tariff code (but I think not). Also,
the 3-177 form isn't needed as import document for imports to Europe, so
no problem if the tariff codes does not appear on the 3-177 from.
However, it is recommended to have the CN tariff  on your commercial
invoice / shipping doc which is the relevant document for clearance
(attached accessible at the _outside_ of your parcel).

In 90 % of cases (except for national postal services which do not offer
on-line transfer & tracking of data) customs clearance of parcels is
done based on the electronic data entered in the shipping software of
the respective carrier prior to the physical departure of the parcels
from the country. This opens  an approximate 12 h time slot for carriers
to clarify any discrepancies in advance to allow immediate clearance of
parcels upon their arrival at the destination air hub in Europe. To
achieve this, exact & detailed E-Dec information is vital to avoid delays.

If the E-Decs DO NOT hold all relevant information, but only the
commercial invoice on the parcel, then shipments normally will be
delayed for one day (to allow physical checks of attached invoices after
arrival of the consignment). If this data is insufficient, too, carriers
try to contact the consignee to receive the missing information or hand
the parcels to directly inspection to keep their scheduled delivery
promise. This is where the tiresome and many times frustrating part for
all involved parties starts.

All the best
Dirk