[NHCOLL-L:5738] Re: fluid preservatives

Couteaufin at aol.com Couteaufin at aol.com
Tue Nov 29 17:58:59 EST 2011

Hi Carolyn,

I have never had firsthand experience with Novec, but it is an expensive
fluid and has a high specific gravity so specimens float in it.  It has not
been tested in the long term and I have a bad feeling about it.

Have you considered an alternative such as Dekafald (DMDM hydantoin)?   It
acts as an ionic transfer agent using methylene bridges like formalin?

It also depends on what specimens are intended for display (vertebrate,
invert, botanical &c)?  Glycol preservatives are still good in the  short term
(1 year or so) if the specimens have been properly fixed  beforehand.

Also need to know what type of jars would be involved (glass,  plastic)?

With all good  wishes, Simon

Simon  Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR,
Conservator of Natural Sciences,
20 Newbury  Street,