[NHCOLL-L:5740] Looking for circular sticky labels that can handle ethanol fumes

Jeffrey Newton jeffreysnewton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:27:10 EST 2011

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on obtaining some sticky labels
that won't peel in the presence of ethanol fumes. I have already purchased
some labels called "Microtube Tough-Spots" from Diversified Biotech in
Boston. They seem to stick well. However, while they are advertised that
almost any writing implement will write on it, this seems to not be true.
In fact, so far only pencil, sharpie en ballpoint will adhere. All other
pens, whether ink or pigment based (e.g. Pigma Micron Sakura inks) start to
bead and subsequently they don't dry properly (and thus rub off). The label
looks like it has a bit of a fine plastic film on it, keeping these
pigments from penetrating/ taking hold. The pencil is too light, and
ballpoint and sharpie dissolves overnight.

*So does anyone know a good sticky-label and writing-implement combination
for samples stored in ethanol fumes (preferably circular, 1.3cm or 1/2"
diameter)?*

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey Newton, Ir.

University of Alberta