[NHCOLL-L:5742] Re: fluid preservatives

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Nov 30 15:53:12 EST 2011

Sue

There are no dangers to the specimens - bar the usual color loss etc.  The reasoning behind trying to find alternatives is due to its effects on the users - collections folks and those using the specimens.  Attempts are being made to find a less flammable solution that is easier to put on exhibit (without jumping through all the dangerous goods hoops) and is easier on the users in a classroom or educational setting where specimens are handled regularly.

In your setting, if the specimens are not handled regularly you are probably OK.  However, if specimens are handled regularly by children or other members of the public this may become a consideration.

Hope that helps

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
 Andy Bentley
 Ichthyology Collection Manager
 University of Kansas
 Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Institute
 Dyche Hall
 1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
 Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
 USA