[NHCOLL-L:5628] RE: Gaskets for wet collection vats

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Sep 5 05:01:24 EDT 2011

Hi all,

eben though I don't know the exact design of the steel tanks Andy
suggested, the colleagues in Berlin invented steel tanks for their large
specimens when rebuilding their alcohol collections. Basically, these
are steel tanks as used for catering in factory canteens. Inside the lid
there is a steel rim which leads condensing evaporates back into the
container to prevent direct contact of the condensing evaporates with
the gasket. The gasket (don't know exact material or composition, sorry)
is on the outside of the container, which closes hermetically. All
together a very nice design, but not cheap ...

However (and depending on the denaturing agent) fibreglass will not be
resistant against alcohols in the long run and tend to crack sooner or
later.

Sealing crumbeling gaskets of  Le-Perfait glass with vacuum grease (no
silicon grease ...) works, but these are smaller of course then your
vats and are not closed with bolts. Perhaps worth trying if you have
high quality grease (not soft white which attracts alcohol evaporates
then swells and starts runing)

Sorry,  only a further contributions and ideas which offers no direct help.

All the best
Dirk

Am 02.09.2011 21:00, schrieb Bentley, Andrew Charles:

> Moretta
>
> We recently went through a major tank overhaul here at KU and I
> contacted both Delta Designs and Steel Fixtures in Topeka -- we use
> stainless steel tanks manufactured by them.  Bruce Danielson from
> Delta sent me a replacement gasket for our tanks that is a 3M product
> (do not know the name) which is sticky backed.  We have not had any of
> these in long enough to know if they are a viable replacement i.e.
> whether they hold up any better to alcohol or oils than the original,
> but it may be worth contacting him to see what it the product is.
> Maybe you could then contact 3M to find out the properties of the
> material and whether it would hold up or if they have anything that
> would.  I would have done this myself when I first got them but this
> got pushed onto the back burner like so many other things.
>
> Bruce's email address is bdanielson at deltadesignsltd.com
> <mailto:bdanielson at deltadesignsltd.com>.
>
> Andy
>
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V
>  Andy Bentley
>  Ichthyology Collection Manager
>  University of Kansas
>  Natural History Museum & Biodiversity Institute
>  Dyche Hall
>  1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
>  Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
>  USA
>
>  Tel: (785) 864-3863
>  Fax: (785) 864-5335
>  Email: abentley at ku.edu <mailto:abentley at ku.edu>        :
>                            :                 :
>     A  :             A  :             A  :
>  }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
>     V                V                V

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/