[Nhcoll-l] The 10,000 year museum

Elizabeth Merritt emerritt at aam-us.org
Tue Jul 31 12:59:20 EDT 2012

I wrote a brief post last Friday http://futureofmuseums.blogspot.com/2012/07/futurist-friday-rosetta-project.html
About the Long Now Foundation's projects-the Clock of the Long Now, and the Rosetta Project, both of which tackle the question of how to build/preserve something that will last 10,000 years. I asked, at the end of the post, what it would take to create a museum that was resilient & adaptable enough to last 10k years. It was mostly a thought experiment (take a look) but over the weekend I started wondering, what is the longest term preservation goal a museum has explicitly set? 100 years? 500 years? If you have any illuminating examples, I'd love to know. Can you post in the blog comments, if you have any to share?

Thanks,

Beth
Elizabeth Merritt
Founding Director, Center for the Future of Museums
T: 202.218. 7661  |  F: 202.289.6578
American Association of Museums
1575 Eye Street N.W., Suite 400  |  Washington, DC 20005
[bright-ideas]