[NHCOLL-L:5882] RE: freeze dried specimens .v.traditional taxidermy

Bob Glotzhober bglotzhober at ohiohistory.org
Thu Mar 8 08:15:03 EST 2012

We have used a large freeze-drier since 1984. The manufacturer is now out of business -- but we have been able to keep it going, with a few interruptions (twice had to replace vacuum pump -- due to errors in maintenance, which have been corrected). The unit is 36" diameter and 60" long. As was mentioned by another lister, chemicals to spray or inject are no longer availab le. So it is important to keep the specimens well protected from dermestids and cloths moths.

We have been gradually trying to upgrade our storage cabinets -- but still have a large number of old, wooden cabinets that are not always air/bug/tight. Two years ago we got cloths moths into several of or old cases with bird study skins. Of those freeze-dried, we lost 90% in the four infected cabinets -- but zero of the older (some 100 years plus) that were treated with arsenic. We were able to salvage portions of the damaged specimens as either wrapped in ziplock baggies for some feather and genetic value (after cleaning and re-freeze drying to kill any remaining insects), and some were reduced to skeletal preparations.

In exhibit spaces, I've tried to display such animals with a concealed film canister, with holes punched in it, and a piece of flea collar inside. The holes let the fumes from the flea collar spread, but the film canister prevents oils in the flea collar which leak out over time from damaging fur or feathers. Not a perfect world - but it seems to be working.

The big advantage for our musuem, and several park districts and other educational institutiions which we help, is that common species can be freeze-dried and then safely handled by the public, expecting that over time they will wear out and be destroyed. Hence we maintain two collections: permanent material with data and educational specimens that we anticipate will be lost.

Bob Glotzhober
Senior Curator, natural history
Ohio Historical Society