[NHCOLL-L:5883] RE: freeze dried specimens .v.traditional taxidermy

Anderson, Gretchen AndersonG at carnegiemnh.org
Thu Mar 8 10:11:47 EST 2012

Hi Ruth,

The advantage of freeze drying is that it is often less expensive than traditional taxidermy and, in the hands of a master, the specimens are beautiful particularly for smaller animals.

The disadvantage to freeze drying the muscle is left in place, making the specimen edible and tasty. With traditional taxidermy methods the skins of larger animals are tanned, making them less edible. If you have hoofed and horned animals there can be lot of edible material in the horn and hoof that will continue to attract pests. The skins of small animals and birds are used raw - so will continue to be a concern but at least the meat is gone.

Freeze dried specimens are more attractive to pests than traditional taxidermy.  The pests include anything that normally eats protein - fur, hide, feathers etc.- rodents, dermestids, wool moths. I dealt with freeze-dried specimens that were eaten by mice on the night prior to the grand opening of a new gallery. Not only was this embarrassing (the 1st view of the visitors was conservators crawling through the diorama picking up feathers and damaged birds), but cost the museum additional money in creating traditional taxidermy specimens. The traditional mounts were not as elegant, but they were not as attractive to pests.

What ever taxidermy method you use, you should have a plan to deter the pests. As Simon pointed out our options for pesticide is very limited. Edolin U was great because it actually made the edible bits less edible, but that is no longer an option for most of us. If you can create tightly enclosed dioramas you can to reduce pest incidence, as well as reduce dust and the need to do ongoing cleaning.  I have seen this done many times.  It is much more difficult to maintain taxidermy specimens (traditional or freeze dried) in open air dioramas - the freeze dried specimens I dealt with were in the open. Keeping an open diorama dust free and in good shape, especially if it has naturalistic (dried or replicated) plants and landscape, is difficult and very time consuming.  The taxidermy can easily be damaged by too much cleaning.  And if not cleaned will be more attractive to pests and just look bad.

If you have a closed environment (case) and the specimens have gone through pest control (thermal treatments - freeze or heat -- or anoxic are preferred), and are clean when installed there is less risk and less expense in the long run. It is also easier to deal with a potential infestation. However, if everything is in the open - the risk is significantly greater and will spread much faster if an infestation occurs.  In either situation, you will need to monitor.

Finally, if you use a pesticide (fumigant or other), check with your local/federal government to see what kind of pesticides are approved for use in a museum and if they target the pests that you are concerned about.

Good Luck!
Gretchen Anderson
Conservator
Carnegie Museum of Natural History