[NHCOLL-L:5903] Re: FW: [RCAAM] radioactive minerals

csturmjr at pitt.edu csturmjr at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 15 15:36:02 EDT 2012

I do not have a definitive answer; however, I believe that it depends on
the radiation that is given off.  In an earlier career, while performing
biomedical research, I was working with isotopes that gave off alpha
radiation. The safety department said that the walls of the glass and
plastic vials that I was using would block the radiation and no further
precautions were needed (30 years ago). If the radiation being release
were gamma rays, they have a much greater potential to cause damage to
living organisms. Handling them I would want a lead apron and probably a
lead container.

Guess the first step would be look up what radiation is being given off
and then proceed from there.

You might also want to contact a collection manage at a museum which
houses a mineralogy collection and see what they recommend.

> I am forwarding this for someone on another list serve.  Please reply
> directly to her.  Her e-mail is laura.gharst at LAKEVIEW-MUSEUM.ORG
> Thanks.
>
> --Leslie
>
> Leslie L. Skibinski
> Collection Manager of Mollusks
> Delaware Museum of Natural History
> 4840 Kennett Pike
> P.O. Box 3937
> Wilmington, DE  19807
>
> Phone:  (302) 658-9111 ext. 311
> Fax:  (302) 658-2610
> e-mail:  lskibinski at delmnh.org
>
> ________________________________

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasure
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine