[NHCOLL-L:5904] Re: FW: [RCAAM] radioactive minerals

Jay R. Cordeiro Jay.Cordeiro at umb.edu
Thu Mar 15 17:08:21 EDT 2012

Hi, Leslie, Charlie, and Laura.

Why are two malacologists like me messing with radioactive minerals??
Any radioactive shells in the Carnegie or Delaware Museums?  I'd keep
them away from the type specimens!!!

Use lead-lined bags, boxes, or adhesive lead strips
(http://www.imagesco.com/geiger/containers.html)

I also highly recommend Minerals and Their Localities by J.H. Bernard
(2007- Granit Publishing).  It's a must have for any mineral collection
(warning: not cheap).

Good luck and hope you don't plan on having any more kids.

Your friend and colleague,

Jay Cordeiro
UMass Boston