[Nhcoll-l] Fluid collections

Dyer, Dave dave.dyer at mso.umt.edu
Thu May 24 13:30:15 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

I have a couple questions regarding fluid storage. We are in the process of working on a grant to, among other things, rescue our 3,000-jar fluid collection from an awful, inaccessible storage situation to a new workable facility. Can someone recommend a supplier for good quality jars and closures? Is Kols Containers/O'Berk still in business? We purchased supplies from them years ago but their web site seems to be shut down.

Also, how have museums reconciled storage of large amounts of ethyl alcohol with local fire codes? Apparently we can only store 120 gallons of 70% ETOH per ROOM, but our collection is approximately 2,000 gallons!  Thanks in advance for your advice and information.
Sincerely,

Dave

David Dyer, Curator
Philip L. Wright Zoological Museum