[Nhcoll-l] NPS asking for info on your collections?

Carrie Eaton carrie at geology.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 8 10:30:56 EST 2012

I'm sure this has probably been addressed by a few people already, but
our museum has been working rather closely with the Park Service on a
cataloging project for almost 3 years now. I had really thought that a
lot of this "big push" came as a result of the new 2009 Omnibus Public
Land Management Act, which includes the new Paleontological Resources
Act (hence the geology focus for us). Parks that lacked the appropriate
records for the permits they had on file were *strongly* encouraged to
track those specimens down and obtain those records. From what I've been
told by the NPS folks I work with, the parks had to identify larger
collections that needed updating or cataloging and hit those first. If
you have federal material and haven't been contacted it could be because
your objects are already very well cataloged, you do not have as many,
or you are just further down on their already very long list.

We were able to negotiate for a long term repository agreement that
gives us control over loaning and the determinations on destructive
sampling, but some of that may have been due to the fact that our
repository already had federal repository status and we have several
collections from a few other parks and monuments, as well as verts from
BLM land.

I agree that the indefinite loan or long term (25-30 year) repository
agreement is the way to go. It is my understanding that they are hoping
to get all of the NPS specimens on to agreements of this type and get
everything into their national catalog. I saw a great presentation a few
years back by Greg McDonald, the senior curator of natural history, on
the future partnerships between the NPS and collection managers at the
2010 Fossil Prep and Collections Symposium. A few colleagues and I are
hoping to also do a presentation or panel at next year's AMM meeting in
Madison, WI on this very topic. It could also be really beneficial to
have someone from the NPS (like Greg) come and speak at a future SPNHC
or AAM meeting to clarify the questions a lot of people have.

If anyone wants to contact me directly to ask about the details of our
project, or how we've managed our relationship with the NPS over the
past year or two - please feel free!
all the best,
Carrie

--