[Nhcoll-l] Thanks for all the pest control help!

Brian Sidlauskas brian.sidlauskas at oregonstate.edu
Wed Oct 3 18:43:30 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the help with our cockroach issue here in Nash Hall
at Oregon State University.   Here's a little more info in response to
the various inquiries and messages.

The roaches are apparently of a species not native to this area; they
escaped from a entomology lab a few buildings over and are apparently
doing well in Nash Hall.  We've seen just a few of them in the fluid
collection area (none so far in the dry) and I haven't yet noticed any
damage to labels or specimens, but the university is trying to halt the
spread of the little beasts and is perhaps being a bit overzealous in
control methods.  The building manager for Nash Hall really wants
spraying to happen and appears to be acting on a higher level directive
to try to prevent these roaches from invading other buildings on
campus.  However, I will chat with her about possibly trying some of the
other solutions (baits, traps and/or borax) before spraying in the fluid
collection itself.

The collection room itself is new construction, temperature controlled
and not particularly humid.  I'd guess that the point source is
something pretty far afield from the collection itself. Aside from the
vertebrate collections, Nash Hall houses many offices and labs as well
as student lounges and such.  There's definitely food in the building
(though none in the collection), and I'd imagine the roaches inhabit
places beyond the fishcave over which I have direct dominion.

The idea to look for sources of glue in the collection rooms is a good
one, and I'll look into that.

Thanks everyone!

-- Brian

--