[Nhcoll-l] Shipping to Sicily

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Wed Sep 26 14:47:30 EDT 2012

Karsten

The EU (of which Italy is a part) has specific regulations in place to control import and export of animal by-products (under which scientific specimens fall).  They are difficult to navigate and each country in the EU has the right to be more restrictive than the EU regulation.  Dirk Neumann has been working very hard to try and get scientific specimens declared outside of the scope of the regulation and thus not requiring inspection.  He recently sent a message indicating that he has made some progress in this regard but it is not yet in force.

The regulations and individual country websites can be found here:  http://ec.europa.eu/food/food/biosafety/animalbyproducts/websites_en.htm

Some are unfortunately not in English and thus even more difficult to follow but the general gist of the regulations are that institutions are required to register themselves within their local authority in order to be able to accept samples (although, if you talk to the institutions, in most cases, they are unaware of this).  I have not shipped to Italy but have had success sending to other EU institutions by including a signed 3-177, copy of the invoice and a letter like the attached on the outside of the package and sending material by FedEx or UPS.

Hope that helps

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>