[Nhcoll-l] Dermestid colony

Alexandra Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Thu Aug 1 11:03:07 EDT 2013

As you have noted, dermestid beetle colonies should never be anywhere near museum collections (typically they are kept in a separate building or on the roof top of the museum) but with limited space and funding, good museum practice is often difficult to achieve.  One method of containment that I saw in practice at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) was to have trenches full of "tanglefoot" surrounding the room in which the colonies are maintained. You may want to contact them for further details.

Alexandra M Snyder, Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020
University of New Mexico Albuquerque NM 87131
PH./FAX 505.277.6005     amsnyder at unm.edu