[Nhcoll-l] Dermestid colony

Barry OConnor bmoc at umich.edu
Thu Aug 1 11:17:13 EDT 2013

A note on rooftop dermestid colonies - beware of "wild"
*Dermestes*entering colonies and bringing parasitic mites (
*Paracarophenax dermestidarum*, *Lardoglyphus* spp.). We had this issue
while our colony was temporarily on the roof during renovation of the "bug
room" some years back.
All the best! - Barry

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Alexandra Snyder <amsnyder at unm.edu> wrote:

>   As you have noted, dermestid beetle colonies should never be anywhere
> near museum collections (typically they are kept in a separate building or
> on the roof top of the museum) but with limited space and funding, good
> museum practice is often difficult to achieve.  One method of containment
> that I saw in practice at the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) was
> to have trenches full of "tanglefoot" surrounding the room in which the
> colonies are maintained. You may want to contact them for further details.
>

>  *************************************
> Alexandra M Snyder, Collections Manager-Fishes
> Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC03-2020
> University of New Mexico Albuquerque NM 87131
> PH./FAX 505.277.6005     amsnyder at unm.edu

-So many mites, so little time!

Barry M. OConnor
Professor  & Curator
Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology/Museum of Zoology

University of Michigan                  phone: 734-763-4354
1109 Geddes Ave.                          fax: 734-763-4080
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079          e-mail: bmoc at umich.edu