[Nhcoll-l] Is there a test to determine what fluid specimens are preserved in -- formalin or ethanol?

CSTURMJR at pitt.edu CSTURMJR at pitt.edu
Thu Jan 3 23:34:18 EST 2013

Rebecca,

I will not opine on how to test what solution may have been used to store
the specimens, however, I will question why you might want to rehydrate
them. Unless there is a specific need to rehydrate a specimen, I would
advocate to leave them in a dessicated state. The specimen is already
dessicated and as such will probably stay that way for a long time (unless
something is done to it). Rehydration methods can adversely affect a
specimen. Better methods may be available in the future. Unless there is a
need to rehydrate the specimen for a current study, store it dry. I have
attached a chapter that I wrote six years ago and there are some
references in Section 5.9 that you might like to read before rehydrating.

> Hello all,
>
> We have several old collections in the park without any information about
> how they were prepared.  Many need to be rehydrated and rehoused into
> better storage.  Is there a simple test to determine what they are/were
> preserved in before we rehydrate?
>
> thank you
>
> --
>
> Rebecca Cole-Will, Cultural Resources Program Manager  ~  Acadia National
> Park, 20 McFarland Hill Drive, PO Box 177, Bar Harbor, ME  04609
>  ~207.288.8728 ph., 207.288.8709 fx.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine