[Nhcoll-l] Is there a test to determine what fluid specimens are preserved in -- formalin or ethanol?

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Jan 4 02:03:29 EST 2013

Dear Rebecca,

completely agree with Charlie. As long as you don't have any climate
control issues in your collection that could trigger mould issues, I
would leave the dry specimens in the jar as they are. Especially in old
historic specimens it is not always clear which type of preservation
fluids were used for initial preparation/fixation. There is a whole
variety of historic fixatives, some of them include heavy metal salts
such as mercury in rather high concentrations (these were often used
e.g. for preparations of marine invertebrates). If you don't know the
history of preservation/fixation methods in your collection, I would be
very careful in handling these specimens. Have in mind that prevailed
usage of formaldehyde fixation/preservation starts roughly around 1910.
Dried ethanol specimens may look rather poor (not initial fixation, only
ethanol preservation = +/- dehydration of specimens to a certain
extent). Be careful if your specimens have been prepared prior to 1900
and still look +/- good or show some salty incrustations on the
specimens, which could be an indicator for historic fixatives other then
formaldehyde.

Rehydration will not restore the their original shape of specimens. If
rehydration is necessary, I would also recommend method Simon Moore
suggested in a previous NHCOLL-L posting (see below). For specific
questions it might be worth contacting Simon directly.

All the best
Dirk