[Nhcoll-l] Effect of Global Database Inclusion on Loan Requests

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Fri Jan 4 15:52:57 EST 2013

Sarah

We are looking forward to having your data in Fishnet2 :)

Although I have no data to quantify it we definitely noticed a marked increase in loan and tissue gift requests after our data went online some time ago.  Our data is available from a number of sources - GBIF, Fishnet, Vertnet and our own in-house search engine.  With the usage statistics that are generated through all of these avenues (number of searches, term searched and number of records returned/downloaded) it is really easy to track individual requests back to searches done of our data on one of these portals.  We also not only noticed an increase in the total number of requests but also in the geographic scope of requests - a lot more requests from far flung places on the globe that we usually do not have any interaction with.

It has been some time since our data went up online (probably about 10 years) and so it is difficult to quantify after the fact.  Your collection may be a nice test case to track and try and get some quantitative data regarding the increase that is experienced.  Maybe you could keep track of that and write something up for the SPNHC newsletter or Collection Forum after a couple of years?

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V