[Nhcoll-l] Repair of asbestos-cont taxidermy

Makos, Kathryn MAKOSK at si.edu
Mon Jan 14 20:39:29 EST 2013

Hi Laura and yes, we at the Smithsonian have some experience dealing with asbestos-containing objects and specimens, whether it be abating/removing ACM, bagging and labeling, stabilizing etc.  I will contact you tomorrow off-list but basically, in your case, it sounds as if your EHS and asbestos O&M staff could perhaps stabilize (encapsulate) the exposed ACM so the taxidermist could work on the skin without damaging the art plaster, or since that may not be practical, they could enclose the mount in plastic and create a glorified abatement glove bag around the lil' devil (like it was an ACM covered pipe) and the taxidermist could work on the mount from outside the bag.  Tools would need to be positioned inside the bag and decontaminated later and it's awkward but with enough light it could work.  Mr. Hansmann will know where I'm going with this.  As we all know, blending our public health world and your collections/conservation world always requires some innovation!

Kathryn Makos, MPH, CIH
Smithsonian Institution
Office of Safety, Health and Environmental Management
Washington DC
202-633-2670
makosk at si.edu

Message: 2