[Nhcoll-l] Repair of asbestos-containing taxidermy

Laura Abraczinskas abraczi1 at msu.edu
Mon Jan 14 20:17:03 EST 2013

Hello,
One of our campus departments has a mounted polar bear displayed prominently
in their building.  (The animal is not part of the MSU Museum's collection).
The mount dates from the 1950s and has some damaged areas (front paws,
ventral seam, etc.) that the department is looking have repaired.    The
bear was tested by the campus Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS)
and found to contain asbestos.    One or more taxidermists were initially
contacted but the person(s) will not work on the specimen, given the test
results.  The EHS Office deals with campus asbestos issues (usually
involving building materials).  The department would like to have the
specimen repaired if possible. Does anyone have experience with this and/or
advice that I could pass along?   Feel free to reply off-list to me
(abraczi1 at msu.edu)and Zach Hansmann from MSU EHS (hansmann at msu.edu).
Thank you very much,
Laura

Laura Abraczinskas, Collections Manager