[Nhcoll-l] Medicinal uses of Horseshoe crabs

Jody Ullman collections at thevlm.org
Wed Jan 23 09:53:51 EST 2013

Pardon the cross-post.

I am trying to put together an exhibit on the medicinal uses of horseshoe
crabs.  My research has led me to a product derived from the shell called
chitin or chitosan.  It is used for sutures, burn wound dressings,
membranes, contact lens and for bone repair.  The hospitals in my area do
not use these products right now and the main manufacturers are in Japan and
Thailand.  Does anyone have a connection with a major medical
center/hospital that may use these products?  I am looking to get a donation
of these products to be used in the exhibit case we are putting together.
Chitin is also used in so many other ways from water treatment to
agriculture and cosmetics to fabrics.  If you have any connections to the
other industries that use this material, please let me know as well.  I
currently have a contact for the blood products, but I would love to add
other products to our collections to augment our live horseshoe crab
exhibit.

You may contact me off-line at the email address below.

Jody Ullmann

Collections Manager

Virginia Living Museum

collections at thevlm.org