[Nhcoll-l] Specifications for design of a natural history collection storage and research facility

Jean-Marc Gagnon JGagnon at mus-nature.ca
Tue Jul 16 09:44:59 EDT 2013

Rebecca,

There are a number of institutions on the east coast that have new collections and research facilities along the lines you are describing.

Of the top of my head, I would certainly recommend site visits of Yale-Peabody Museum (New Haven, CT), the Smithsonian (Museum Support Center in Suitland, Maryland) and the Canadian Museum of Nature's Natural Heritage Campus (Gatineau, QC).

There are probably others I am forgetting but that's a start. There are also great consultants/architects that have the experience in developing these specific facilities. I am sure you can get recommendations from those who have such new facilities.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc Gagnon, Ph.D.
Past President (2012-2014) of the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (www.spnhc.org<http://www.spnhc.org/>)
Chair of the SPNHC Recognition & Grants Committee and SPNHC Bylaws Committee

Curator / Conservateur des collections
Invertebrate Collections / Collections des invertébrés
Canadian Museum of Nature / Musée canadien de la nature
P.O. Box 3443, Stn "D" / C.P. 3443, Succ. D
Ottawa, ON Canada K1P 6P4
T: 613-364-4066 / F: 613-364-4027
E/C: jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca<mailto:jmgagnon at mus-nature.ca>
http://www.nature.ca<http://www.nature.ca/>