[Nhcoll-l] Rehydration question

Tom Schioette TSchioette at snm.ku.dk
Wed Jul 24 04:58:02 EDT 2013

A former colleague of mine used Dioctyl Sodium Succinate on various marine invertebrates and was very happy with the results; I tried using it on molluscs after his recommendation and had moderate success, that is, it didn't seem to work if the specimen was completely dried out and hard as a rock, but if there was a bit of moisture left in it, it could work rather well. A necessary part of the process was to put the specimen, while immersed in the solution, in a desiccator and turn it on, in order to get air bubbles out and pull as much of the liquid into existing cavities.

Cheers Tom

Tom Schiøtte

Natural History Museum of Denmark (Zoology)

Universitetsparken 15

DK-2100 Copenhagen OE

Denmark

TSchioette at snm.ku.dk