[Nhcoll-l] Rehydration question

Singer,Randal Anthony rsinger at flmnh.ufl.edu
Wed Jul 24 08:18:04 EDT 2013

Tom,

I will refer you to a technique I have had great success with for amphibians, fishes and mammals developed by John Simmons. It involves placing the specimen inside a well sealed container (preferably a glass jar) on a mesh (rubber or metal) platform above, but not immersed in 100% deionized water. Warm water works best and a vapor should form inside the jar. Once the specimens looks sufficiently "wet" you transfer it to and immerse it in, a jar of 100% deionized water. As the water becomes cloudy, change it in increasing proportions of ethanol/isopropanol by 20% (0%, 20%, 40%...etc.) until you reach your desired preservative strength. I have had great success with this technique with vertebrates, but I have yet to try on invertebrates. I would be interested to see how it works.

Let me know if you have any further questions on the matter.

Cheers,

Randy Singer