[Nhcoll-l] Leatherback turtle help needed

Bethany Palumbo bgpalumbo at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Jun 21 11:00:27 EDT 2013

Dear Becky,

Recently, we have been using a dilute ammonia solution (5% in water) applied with a soft brush to scrub fatty secretions from Whale bones. The ammonia turns the grease into foam which can be removed with a vacuum or simply wiped away. We did find however that any remaining cartilage will soften on contact the solution, so we are extra careful with these areas as we want to preserve them. Once the ammonia evaporates though, the cartilage hardens once more. This method might be just as effective on turtle grease, though you may want to conduct a cleaning trial to test the strength of the shell.

I hope this is of some assistance,

All the best,

Bethany Palumbo

Conservator of Life Sciences
Oxford University Museum of Natural History
bgpalumbo at hotmail.co.uk