[Nhcoll-l] Collections Management tool: www.thermal-age.eu

Matthew Collins matthew.collins at york.ac.uk
Sun May 26 08:55:44 EDT 2013

http://thermal-age.eu is a decision-making software tool being developed
within the framework of SYNTHESYS, the European Union-funded Integrated
Activities project designed to help collections managers and users to
quantify the risks associated with destructive analysis of specimens.

Thermal.age.eu intends to simplify the calculation of thermal ages (1) to
enable researchers to predict the likely survival of DNA and other
molecules in archaeological and fossil samples.

Thermal-age.eu is here to do the following jobs for you (and for free!):

   -
   Estimating the quality of DNA (and survival of other molecules).
   - Keep indexed records of past calculations so these may be published
   and subject to scrutiny.
   - Collect data from users to help refine the quality of predictions.
   - Provide detailed explanations and supporting materials to help users
   understand the strengths and limitations of the magic numbers we can
   produce.

(1) Smith C. I., Chamberlain A. T., Riley M. S., Stringer C., Collins M.
(2003) The thermal history of human fossils and the likelihood of
successful DNA amplification. *
Journal of Human Evolution* *
45*, 203-217