[Nhcoll-l] Glass jars for shipping wet specimens

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue Sep 24 09:51:07 EDT 2013

Sloane

According to DOT (domestic shipping) and IATA (international shipping) you are prohibited from shipping specimens in ethanol that have more than 30ml of fluid per internal container (jar) and 500ml total.  This would probably limit the size of jars that you could use for exhibition.  I would suggest that you ship the specimens and glassware separately.  The specimens can be wrapped in ethanol soaked cheesecloth and glassware can then be filled with ethanol on site.  This will also allow you to use a wider range of glassware. We have had great results for our collections from Kols Containers glassware and lids which are alcohol resistant and have a fantastic seal.  The various sizes that we order all have fairly large openings.

I would be happy to send you information both on shipping regulations and the glassware we use if necessary.

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V