[Nhcoll-l] photography policy

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Dec 10 11:49:27 EST 2014

Hi Katie,

not that we would have such a doc that I could share with you, and
beyond illegal image harvesting  and copyright issues which should be
clear (e.g the copyright lies with the photographer and not necessarily
with the institution were he /she is employed at unless otherwise
stipulated), I would like to take the opportunity to point to the fact
that after entering into force of the Nagoya Protocol specific
considerations should be taken on sharing / publication of pictures:

The image might show details which fall under "Access Benefit Sharing"
regulations, for example if herbarium specimens are photographed and the
herbarium sheets includes handwritten information how depicted plants
can be used as remedy (=traditional knowledge).

Even though the US will not become a party to the Nagoya Protocol, this
might reach out if researchers at your institution want to conduct
research in a providing country which regulates access to genetic
resources and traditional knowledge.

Especially mass digitisation projects are pretty much unaware of this ...

All the best
Dirk

Am 10.12.2014 17:25, schrieb Katie Connolly:

> Hello! We are in the process of drafting a photograph policy as it
> pertains to our collections. We have living and non-living
> collections, and often get requests to photograph animals, specimens,
> objects, etc. Does anyone out there have a good policy or document
> that we might look at for ideas and guidance as we draft our own?
>
> Feel free to message me personally.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> *Katie Connolly*
>
> Museum Naturalist/Curator
>
> Cable Natural History Museum
>
> PO Box 416
>
> Cable, WI 54821
>
> P: 715-798-3890 x113
>
> F: 715-798-3828

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/