[Nhcoll-l] barcoding pros and cons

Aren Gunderson amgunderson at alaska.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:46:05 EST 2014

I am the Collection Manager for the Mammals Collection at the University of
Alaska Museum. We have 120,000 mammal specimens with probably 500,000
specimen parts and every part has a barcode on it. This does so much more
make loan processing easier.

I can look up the location of any part of any specimen without having to go
into the collection. I can bulk edit specimen data through
Arctos<http://arctos.database.museum/> with
barcodes. I can move objects en masse, whole cabinets, drawers, freezer
racks of parts and track all the objects within those containers with a
scan of 2 barcodes. Barcodes make specimen installation, reorganization,
data management so much more efficient and reliable.

If a student puts a specimen in the wrong drawer it can be lost forever
unless a whole scale search of the collection is undertaken. With barcoded
parts I can scan every object into its current position and any misplaced
objects will be found by their barcode. I suspect I could scan every object
in our collection into place in a week.

Of course barcodes are only as good as the software used to interface with
them and specimen data. With Arctos <http://arctos.database.museum/> barcodes
are fully integrated into specimen data and provide immeasurable utility
for collections management. I like barcodes a lot.

The cost is negligible to the benefit. EIM, http://www.barcode-labels.com/,
makes custom barcodes with whatever size and numbering system you want,
with a variety of adhesives that work on most materials and down to liquid
nitrogen temperatures. If you want to know which barcodes work best for
which applications I would be glad to advise. You can also get printers to
make your own barcodes.

At a minimum you could be using barcodes on all new specimens, if not
adding them to the entire existing collection.

Aren

--
Aren Gunderson
Mammals Collection Manager