[Nhcoll-l] Recommended freezer for specimens?

Flannery, Moe MFlannery at calacademy.org
Wed Jul 23 12:12:42 EDT 2014

I would also make sure that any freezer, chest or upright, is not self-defrosting.  Self-defrosting freezers continually raise and lower the temperature to minimize frost build-up.  Not a good situation for keeping specimens or for pest control.  A manual defrost freezer will keep the temperature constant although it will need periodic (usually annual) defrosting though to get rid of the buildup of ice.

Moe

Maureen Flannery
Ornithology and Mammalogy Collection Manager
California Academy of Sciences
p. 415.379.5371
f.  415.379.5738
mflannery at calacademy.org<mailto:mflannery at calacademy.org>
www.calacademy.org<http://www.calacademy.org/>

55 Music Concourse Drive
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, CA 94118

Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/calacademy> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/calacademy>

Get inside our heads. Don't miss Skulls, a jaw-dropping new exhibit that reveals how vertebrate animals live, die, and-ultimately-evolve. Now through November 30.