[Nhcoll-l] Recommended freezer for specimens?

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Wed Jul 23 05:40:26 EDT 2014

... yes, chest-type freezer would be the better option and might have
slightly longer hold-over times in case of power failure. It might be
worth to look for specific canteen equipment freezers instead of
household freezer - we had bad experiences with (plastic) handles that
broke/cracked after few years because of frequent freezer use. Canteen
kitchen equipment might be a bit more expensive, but might be more durable.

If you prefer an upright freezer, the freezer should have drawers so
that you can remove all specimens from one drawer - some freezer have a
combination of drawers and compartments or only compartments which then
might require (expensive) additional trays to hold specimen-tubes / boxes.

All the best
Dirk

Am 22.07.2014 23:04, schrieb Trock, Debra:

> Crystal,
>
> You can get an inexpensive chest-type freezer for about half this
> price.  In addition, with an upright freezer like this, all of the
> cold air "falls out" (since it is heavier than warm air) when you open
> the door.  That doesn't happen with a chest type.   We've been looking
> at a Frigidaire that will hold 6 boxes 12 x 12 x 18 (herbarium
> specimens) for about $350.00.  You can also get chest types in larger
> sizes if needed.
>
> Dr. Debra Trock
>
> Sr. Collections Manager, Botany
>
> California Academy of Sciences
>
> 55 Music Concourse Drive
>
> San Francisco, CA  94118
>
> 415-379-5363
>
> dtrock at calacademy.org

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/