[Nhcoll-l] Phenolic lids in alcohol

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Fri Jun 13 13:28:06 EDT 2014

Folks,

We have noticed that in cases where a phenolic resin cap is immersed in alcohol (70-80% ethanol) for long periods (such as when a vial with a sample is included in a larger alcohol-preserved lot) the alcohol becomes discolored. I presume the resin is leaching something. Does anyone know of any published work on this?

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170