[Nhcoll-l] GSA Proposal Follow-up and SE GSA Invite

Sarah Timm sarahtimm26 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:08:11 EDT 2014

Dear SPNHC Colleagues,

Thank you so much for all of your support for the GSA Collections
Preservation Proposal. I wanted to be sure to share with you all that Dr.
Bob Tracy presented it to the GSA council at the end of August and as you
can see below from an email Bob sent me after the meeting, it was received
very well.

"it is clear that the leadership of GSA recognizes the importance of this
initiative and will actively work to figure out how the society can help
promote things. Your document was very good and hit just the right note.
People were really impressed by both the number and prominence of the
signatories."

In order to keep this momentum going I am hoping many of you will join me
this Spring at this years regional Southeastern GSA meeting being held in
Chattanooga, TN March 19 & 20. In order for a session of this topic to be
approved, we need abstracts submitted by December 9 with a focus on
geological collections. Currently there isn't a session planned but I spoke
with the organizers and they assured me that if they receive enough
abstracts which do not fit the other session categories, we will be able to
create a new one. The link for submitting an abstract is here:
http://www.geosociety.org/Sections/se/2015mtg/techProg.htm

Last years' session titled "Hidden Gems: Geological Collections and Museums
in the Southeastern U.S." was a great success. We had 8 wonderful
presentations on the challenges and successes our collections and those who
care for them are facing -abstracts from the talks can be found here:
https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2014SE/webprogram/Session34580.html. I hope that
this year we can have a session continuing this on-going discussion. We
have the support of GSA now, and if a successful session is lead at their
regional meeting, and perhaps again next fall at their National meeting, I
think that is going to further show the council how serious we are about
making the preservation of our collections a true priority.

Thank you all again for your support. Please, if you are able to attend SE
GSA, submit an abstract and help keep this momentum going!

Sincerely,
~Sarah

Apologies for cross-posting

--